Scholarship Essay Contest
OVERVIEW All students in 9th through 11th grade are eligible to participate. An essay is required that answers the question: What advice would you give middle school students about achieving success in high school? Four winners will be selected: One (1) from Miami-Dade; One (1) from Broward: One (1) from Palm Beach; and one (1) from outside the Florida tri-county area. All four winners will receive a $250 scholarship provided by International College Counselors. The goal of the International College Counselors High School Essay Contest is to increase awareness of the value of higher education among high school students in the local area.
ARRANGEMENTS AND RULES
Write an essay that addresses the following topic:
What advice would you give middle school students about achieving success in high school?
- 500 Word Essay
- Current high school student (9th-11th Grade)
- One submittal per contestant
- Entries must be submitted via mail to:
International College Counselors 4700 Sheridan Street, Suite J Hollywood, FL 33021 Award There will be four awards of $250 Student Scholarships for winning essays. Essay Deadline: May 1, 2014
OFFICIAL RULES AND GUIDELINES
- International College Counselors Scholarship is open to all 9th-11th grade high school students. Four winners will be selected: one from Miami Dade County, one from Broward County, one from Palm Beach County and another from outside the Florida tri-county area. Home schooled students and International students are eligible. Winners will be notified the week of June 1, 2014.
- Four winning essays will be selected, and winners will each receive a $250 International College Counselors scholarship payable to the winner or the college/university, certified trade school in the United States.
- Winners names will be posted on the International College Counselors website: http://www.internationalcollegecounselors.com
- Contestants must compose and submit an original essay in English of no longer than five hundred (500) words that addresses the following topic: What advice would you give middle school students about achieving success in high school?
- MAIL SUBMISSIONS INSTRUCTIONS: Students MUST submit their essays via mail. Entries must be postmarked no later than May 1, 2014. Entries that arrive after the entry deadline will not be accepted under any circumstances.
- Each student may enter only one essay.
- Each contestant must prepare his or her own essay.
- Essays submitted must include contestant’s name, home address, telephone number, school the student attends, grade level, title of the essay and a word count.
- All submissions must be accompanied by a completed Official Student Registration Form available here Scholarship Application Form
- The entry form must be signed by the student’s legal guardian in the space provided.
- Privacy of contestant information will be strictly safeguarded, will not be published (except to announce name and schools of winners), and will not be used for any purpose not strictly related to this essay contest.
- Home-schooled and International students may apply as long as your course of study is equivalent to that of a junior in high school.
- It is not necessary for a student to have a sponsoring teacher in order to participate in this contest.
- A copy of the four winning 1st place essays may be submitted to local newspapers for possible publication.
- All submissions must be post marked by May 1, 2014
- Entries will be judged for the accuracy and relevance of content, originality, clarity, insight, and the quality of the writing (including spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc.). The winners will be selected by the International College Counselors Essay Contest Judging Committee. Decisions of the Judging Committee are final.
- Entries will be judged anonymously and will not be returned to students. Each essay submitted must be the work of one student and may not be the collective work of more than one student. By submitting an essay, applicants certify that their essays are original, authored solely by them and that in writing their essay they did not plagiarize or otherwise infringe upon the rights of any third parties.
- Winners will be notified by mail, phone, and/or email. We apologize in advance that we won’t be able to respond to everyone who is not selected as a finalist due to the number of entries we expect. We wholeheartedly appreciate your participation, and we wish we could let everyone know how much we liked his or her thoughts.
- International College Counselors does not share personal information provided explicitly through this web site, or gathered implicitly via web server log files, with any other entity for any purpose whatsoever, with limited exception including announcing the winners of the annual International College Counselors Scholarship essay competition.
International College Counselors Scholarship Entrants
- Personal information collected on the entry form is used by International College Counselors to properly classify the entry and, in the event the entry is awarded a prize, to contact the winner. Students must acknowledge that the International College Counselors may publish winning essays. Publication may occur on this web site or in an e-mail. International College Counselors will announce winners and post winning essays on this web site on the contest page. Winners will be identified on this web site by name, grade and school affiliation only. International College Counselors may notify a winner’s school and/or local newspaper of the student’s accomplishment.
Email Policy: Emails from International College Counselors are free. Students and/or parents may discontinue receiving the newsletter at any time via the Contact Us form on this web site. Contact Us Information provided through the Contact Us form is used by International College Counselors solely to respond to the inquiry.