If you think applying to a U.S. college is hard for students going to school in the United States, just think, the college admissions process is even harder for international students. There are many reasons for this. Often international students do not understand the process or know how to make their applications stand out. Many underestimate the time required to apply for admission. Most don’t even have counselors at their high schools who know about U.S. colleges and the admissions process. However, international students can increase their odds of getting accepted.
International Admissions: How to get accepted to U.S. colleges is a new book from International College Counselors. This guide provides parents and students living outside the U.S. with the tools and resources they need to understand and navigate the U.S. college admissions process. The entire admissions process, from choosing the right schools to completing college applications to financial aid, is reviewed in an easy-to-read way, understandable for even students who speak English as a second language.
International Admissions: How to get accepted to U.S. colleges teaches international students:
- How to increase their chances of admission by giving colleges what they want.
- How to approach the U.S. admissions process with easy-to-follow steps.
- How to build their resume with academic and extracurricular opportunities that colleges desire.
- How to best handle the confusing requirements unique to international students, including bank statements, translated transcripts, and additional standardized tests, like the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- How to find the “right fit” college even without the financial resources necessary to visit the schools they are interested in.
- How to use their unique cultural identity and experiences to set themselves apart in the college essay.
- How to examine options for financial aid and scholarships despite being much fewer opportunities for international students.
International students can more easily get into their dream school by having insight and understanding into the admissions process.